How to Recognize the Signs of Alcoholism

I knew I had married a good man. He was a hard worker. He cared about me, and he cared about his job. He had had a hard life growing up, and it seemed because of that I loved him even more, for despite the rough childhood he had experienced, he was neither bitter nor withdrawn.

We had been married for ten years before I started to realize that anything was wrong. It took me years to realize that my husband was an alcoholic.

Part of that was from my own naivete. I had never been around people who drank very much, and we didn't really go out to clubs or bars as a couple. None of our friends were drinkers. Neither of our families drank very much either.

So I was completely unprepared for dealing with the effects of alcohol in our lives.

That inexperience almost cost me my life.

You have come to this page because you are wondering about the signs of alcoholism. That is very common. It is often difficult to tell whether someone is an alcoholic or whether they are going through a period in their lives when they are drinking too much. Neither case is a good one, so it's wise that you are seeking more information.

I lived with an alcoholic for 16 years, and we both survived. That is a triumph of which I am extremely proud, though I don't take any credit for it. My husband got sober, beat alcohol, and has been free of it for 25 years now. Because he got sober, he was able to be a father to our children, and to reach the top of his profession. We wouldn't even have children if he hadn't stopped drinking. He certainly would have lost his job from drinking. Alcoholism almost destroyed our family.

If you are struggling with the issue of drinking in your home and family, my heart goes out to you. I have been there. It was literally a miracle that allowed me to recognize the signs of alcoholism and get some help for myself and my husband. I'll share that story with you as we go along.

Just know that there IS help for alcoholism and you are not alone. Here are some signs to look for:
  • The person gets defensive when asked anything about their drinking
  • They experience periods of memory loss as a result of drinking
  • Hangovers are more severe and last longer
  • The person never seems to be sober
  • They can't get rid of the smell of alcohol around their person
  • They hide alcohol, and drink throughout the day
  • They drink even when there is no one to drink with
  • They avoid social occasions where alcohol is not available
  • They seem to have fewer friends, but more "drinking buddies"
  • Activities involving alcohol are more important than other activities
  • They seem to always have a drink in their hand
  • It seems as though a lot of money is being spent, but you can't figure out where it's going
  • They are experiencing other health problems such as panic attacks, depression, anxiety, trembling, irritability, excessive sweating, taking longer to get over colds or heal from cuts, diabetes, liver or kidney problems.
  • They call in sick more often than the average
  • They neglect their physical appearance and personal hygiene
  • They become angry or abusive, or have a personality change when drinking or when hung over from drinking
  • They don't seem "like themselves".
This is not an exhaustive list. The professionals will tell you that if drinking causes problems, it is indeed "problem drinking", whether that person is labelled an alcoholic or not.

What I know is that alcoholism is a destructive disease that affects not only the person afflicted but those around them as well. If you do not get help, you risk abuse, illness, divorce, and death.

If any of these signs of alcoholism have resonated with you, if they have sounded all too famliar, I encourage you to get help immediately, for yourself or for your loved one who is displaying these signs. Alcoholism can be overcome, but it isn't easy. I have listed some resources in the sidebar, and will continue to provide information and encouragement through this blog. Please contact me if you need some additional assistance. soa001

No comments: